Each year the Fries Center for Global Studies hosts the Wes and the World Photo Contest. We ask Wesleyan students who have had any global experience over the previous summer and/or previous semester to submit photographs. This group includes study abroad returnees, international students, exchange students, fellowship recipients, and foreign language teaching assistants.
The purpose of the Wes in the World Photo Contest is to share stories about humanity across the globe through photographs within these four categories: contemporary issues, landscape, people, and cross-cultural learning. Our hope with these categories is to allow students to reflect on ways in which their global experience transcends borders by working towards perspective-taking, appreciating the wonderful landscapes of the earth, raising awareness about peoples and cultures outside of their ethnocentric lens, and connecting with others through cross-cultural exchange.
HOW TO WIN:
The photo with the most “Likes” on the FCGS Facebook page will win the People’s Choice Award. The other 4 categories of photos will be judged by a Photo Contest jury based on these criteria: 1) perspective-taking, 2) global self-awareness, and 3) personal and social responsibility. There will be a total of 5 awards!
- People’s Choice Award
- Best Photo of Contemporary Issues
- Best Photo of Cross-Cultural Exchange
- Best Photo of Landscape
- Best Photo of People
Students are not required to be professional photographers to participate. In fact, our photo jury is more interested in the stories behind the photographs than the photo-editing software they use. Winning photos will be judged by the stories and descriptions of how the photographs capture the categories stated above.
Eligibility: The Wes and the World Photo Contest is open to all current Wesleyan students. Students must have a valid Wesleyan email address to submit photographs.
- Photos must be your original work.
- Photos must be free of alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, or any inappropriate content.
- You may submit no more than 1 photograph per category for a total of 4 submissions.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Describe all photos on the Fall 2019 Wes And The World Photo Contest form
- Please title your file: first_last_category (ex: Jane_Doe_contemporaryissues)
- In order to be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg format, at least 2,000 pixels wide, and no larger than 10 MB.
To view previous year’s photo contest winners, please visit: https://bit.ly/2M3xQBd
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 30th, 2019, 11:59 p.m. (EST)